Show me an example My title page contents Create the HTML verification file specified below and upload it to google24e9044a4a9bd552.html Make sure you can view in your browser before verifying your site. Tax Preparation Blog: September 2009

Friday, September 25, 2009

Connecticut State Board of Accountancy

Also please visit the Connecticut State Board of Accountancy for more details on the Connecticut State CPA exam requirements. It is another extremely helpful and informative website. It is the most reliable CPA website for requirements because it is the website for the actual entity that establishes these guidelines.

Continuing Professional Education (CPE)

Continuing Professional Education (CPE)

Continuing Professional Education (CPE) is a tool utilized by government and other organizations to help professionals maintain and improve their professional knowledge. It is the responsibility of the licensee to find CPE, take it, and report it.

In Connecticut, licensees are required to take 40 hours of continuing professional education per year. CPE reports are due to the State Board of Accountancy by July 31 for the CPE year July 1 through June 30. Reporting is on form SBA-3 Continuing Education Report Form.

Licensure in the State of Connecticut

Fees and Forms

The forms necessary to obtain an initial certificate, registration of a certificate and/or license are:

SBA –11 – General application – Initial Certificate: $75 fee, Initial Certificate and Certificate Registration: $95, Initial Certificate and Initial CPA License: $150
SBA – 12 – Experience verification – no fee.
Holders of CPA certificates who later wish to register their certificate must fill out form SBA-2: $20 fee
Holders of CPA certificates who later wish to obtain a CPA license must fill out form SBA-5: $75 fee
CPA licenses and registrations must be renewed annually by Dec. 31 for the upcoming year: $450 license renewal fee, $20 registration fee

Licensure in the State of Connecticut

Connecticut CPA License

Licensing creates a threshold to regulate the activity of the profession. A Connecticut CPA License is required by all firm owners to practice public accountancy in Connecticut.

Licensure in the State of Connecticut

Connecticut Certificate Registration
The registration of a certificate with Connecticut’s State Board of Accountancy allows the holder to call himself or herself a CPA and use the credential under two circumstances:

As a staff member of a firm (not an owner) using the CPA credential in communications with clients and others. However, the credential may not be used to sign off on tax returns or financial statements, or
For a person who is not in public accounting but wants to use the CPA credential.

There is no Continuing Professional Education requirement by the State Board of Accountancy to maintain a registered certificate. Registration and payment is due annually in December for the upcoming calendar year.

Licensure in the State of Connecticut

What is a Connecticut CPA Certificate and how is it obtained?

Application must be made to Connecticut’s State Board of Accountancy to receive an initial certificate. The CPA certificate is the lowest threshold of licensure. The CPA certificate does not give the holder the ability to use the CPA title or practice public accountancy in the State of Connecticut.

Don't forget - you'll need an official transcript from your school for the application!

The Ethics Exam For The CPA Exam

Ethics Exam

The Ethics Exam is a self-study paper exam that may be obtained through the continuing professional education department of the Connecticut Society of CPAs at 860-258-4800, ext. 219 or online. The AICPA scores the ethics exam and sends the scores to the State Board of Accountancy.

Experience Requirements

Where may experience be obtained?

Experience may be obtained anywhere in the world – the key is the nature of the experience.

The experience requirement must meet state regulations and must be in US GAAP and GAAS. Experience need not be paid and can be in the form of internships, co-ops, or volunteerism. However, all experience must be obtained under an individual who has held a license or CPA certificate in good standing for at least three years. Further, all experience must be verified by a CPA.

To meet Connecticut requirements, experience attained in a public accounting firm is the easiest to verify. (25 percent of time spent in a public firm must be in attest work and 75 percent may be in other accounting functions.)

Industry experience is more difficult to verify and 100 percent must be in the internal audit function. In addition, the applicant must verify that they have worked in diverse industries and that the internal audit department is independent.

For an initial CPA certificate in Connecticut, prior to Jan. 1, 2000, the experience requirement was three years full time diversified experience. CPA Examination candidates sitting on of after Jan. 1, 2000 (after having satisfied the 150-hour rule) are required to have two years of experience.
This information came directly from this website. Please visit

How Long Does It Take To Receive Testing Scores

How long does it take to receive testing scores?

The CT State Board of Accountancy releases test scores as soon as they are available from the AICPA, who scores the exam. The exam is graded one applicant against all of the others taking that section of the exam, so the AICPA must wait to have a sufficient sample to evaluate test results.

Process For Applying To Take The CT CPA Exam

What is the process for applying to take the CPA Exam?

First-time exam candidates must have their education transcripts evaluated to ensure that state requirements have been met. Transcripts of Connecticut applicants are evaluated by the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) CPA Examination Services (CPAES). Essentially, CPAES provides application processing, credential evaluation, and score-reporting services for many jurisdictions, including Connecticut. Candidates with foreign educational credentials must have their credentials evaluated by any member organization of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).
As of August 3, 2009, first time applicants must pay a $135 NASBA application fee, and per section fees ranging from $180.95 to $230.55. The NASBA website can ascertain the current fee structure and give you an initial application form.

Once cleared to sit for the exam, applicants receive a notice to schedule (NTS) from NASBA. Applicants must find available testing seat time at a Prometric testing facility. Prometric testing facilities in Connecticut include locations in Norwalk, Hamden, and Glastonbury. However, Connecticut applicants may also obtain a seat at Prometric testing facilities in New York, Massachusetts, or Rhode Island. Regardless of where the exam is taken, the results are returned to the state of application. Taking the exam in one of these surrounding states will not provide professional reciprocity in that state.

Detailed information about preparing for and taking the restructured, computer-based Uniform CPA Examination is contained in the AICPA publication, "Candidate Bulletin."

This detailed information was taken from
This is one of the best informative websites I know of for CPA requirement information.

Connecticut CPA Exam Requirements

What is required by the State of Connecticut to be eligible to sit for the CPA exam?

"Individuals must complete the education requirements provided in the laws of the State of Connecticut in order to be eligible to sit for the Uniform CPA Exam. Since 2000, the educational requirement is 150 hours of college education, which includes a bachelor's degree. *As of April 2007, Connecticut no longer requires 150 hours of college education as prerequisite to sitting for the CPA Exam, as the conferral of a Bachelor's Degree (120 hours of college credit) is now the minimum eligibility requirement required to sit for the CPA Exam. 150 hours of college credit however, is still required to be completed to obtain licensing and certification as a Connecticut CPA."

Friday, September 4, 2009

Topics Scheduled For Discussion

As I continue to make my blog more in depth, I intend to discuss topics like the usefulness of Quickbooks, tax preparation softwares like Turbo Tax and ProSystem FX, some auditing information, as well as personal finance tips to help you plan for the future.

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Additional CPA License Information

Technically there are no fast tracks to getting your CPA license. You will have to meet all the requirements for the state of Connecticut including passing the three part CPA certification exam. You have also required to have completed 150 college semester hours and meet the required number of hours for accounting courses, general business, and I believe liberal arts. Most other states do not have the liberal arts requirement but, if I'm not mistaken, CT just passed new regulations for this. You must also have about two years of relevant auditing work experience.

These is a catch to all of this though. Once you have completed your bachelor's degree in accounting, you can sit for the exam right away and try to pass it. You just cannot actually become certified until you meet all of the other requirements as well. I hope this information has been useful in answering your question.

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

CPA License Requirements

The link in this header discusses the requirements for being eligible to receive your CPA license. Please read through this carefully because the requirements in Connecticut are a bit more in depth than in many other states. If you want to review the requirements for the CPA license in another state other than Connecticut, you will have to visit your state's Board of Accountancy website. There you should be able to find all the information you will need regarding the requirements to take the exam as well as the requirements to actually be eligible to receive the license.

Additional Ways To Contact Me If You Have Questions

If you have any tax related questions you need help with you can contact me several other ways.

Visit My Tax Preparation Services Website:

Visit My Twitter Page:

My Facebook Page:

Add Me on Myspace:

Visit My LinkedIn Account:

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Tax Professional Licensure

If you are ever interested in knowing more about becoming licensed as a tax professional, the two many certifications you would want to look into would be the CPA (Certified Public Accountant) or the EA (Enrolled Agent) licenses.

Everyone that is familar with accounting has heard of a CPA at some point in their lives. Certified Public Accountants are far more socially acknowledged than an Enrolled Agent. However, both certifications carry very similar rights and responsibilities. The CPA license is designated by the AICPA (American Institute of Certified Public Accountants) whereas the Enrolled Agent license is designated by the United States Government. Enrolled are licensed by the government acknowledging that there are certified tax preparation specialists with expertise in tax planning, financial planning, and legal representation. The difference between the two certifications is that the CPA seemingly hold a much higher prestige than the EA and thus has much stricter requirements for becoming licensed.

To view the requirements for both the Certified Public Accountant license and the Enrolled Agent license visit

Before We Continue Please Read

If at any time you have questions or concerns that you would like to consult with me or another tax professional on, please feel free to contact me or click on any of the links on the side of my blog page. On these websites you can find more information pertaining to tax preparation and find other professionals with the same knowledge and expertise.

JS-Kit Comments

Tax, Tax Planning, Tax Preparation, Tax Return, Accounting, Accountant, CPA, EA, Certified Public Accountant, Enrolled Agent, Licensing Link Market - Free Link Exchange, Link Swap and Link Trade Directory
Have you ever tried to exchange links, swap links, or trade links? Was it hard? Use link market instead; - it is easy to use, free and very smart. It will save you hours of work.
Cheap Auto Insurance
Stop paying those high auto insurance rates! Discounts up to 60%! Apply today for free quotes on auto insurance and lower your costs now! Compare auto insurance quotes from over 50 insurance companies and buy your policy today!
Looking For Laughs
A great blog about comedy and also one of my Blogger friends. Please take a look at his Blog!
blogarama - the blog directory Blog Directory